Friday, January 6, 2012

"Whatever..."

 “Whatever….I quit.”
“Whatever….I’m sick of having to put up with him.”
“Whatever…I just don’t care anymore.”
“Whatever….I’m tired of talking about this.”

Whatever.  Whatever. Whatever. How many times a day do we hear this?  From how many people?   Do you say it? I know I do.  In fact, my “whatevers” often aren’t said in a bright, cheery manner, but tend to stem from irritation (somehow this irritation tends to manifest itself in a bothered shrug of the shoulders and a dramatic rolling of the eyes).   Sound familiar? 

Well, just read the New Testament and you’ll find that the apostle Paul was a man of “whatevers”.  Yes, he really was.   Now before you write me off as some  crazy college student trying to put a taint on Paul’s upright standing,  let me explain.  From what I’ve read of Paul’s writing, never once have I found that he uses “whatever” to express his frustration and resignation with the early church (although he easily could have).   Instead, Paul uses “whatever” to emphasize completeness (or wholeness) and total, heartfelt commitment.  Just look at these verses:

 “So, whether you eat of drink, or WHATEVER you do, do all to the glory of God.” -1 Corinthians 10:31

 “Finally, brothers, WHATEVER is true, WHATEVER is honorable, WHATEVER is just, WHATEVER is pure, WHATEVER is lovely, WHATEVER is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.  What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.” -Philippians 4:8-9

“And WHATEVER you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.” -Colossians 3:17

WHATEVER you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward.  You are serving the Lord Christ.” -Colossians 3:23-24

Not how we generally think of “whatever”, is it?  Just as Christ submitted to whatever his Father willed, Paul is encouraging us to live a radical “whatever” lifestyle.  No more half-hearted, apathetic “whatevers”—our souls need to be on fire with the love and respect we have for our God as we seek to bring Him glory and honor in all that we do.  We need to be sold-out to Him.  

1 comment: