Thursday, January 12, 2012

The Best Road Map Available

So, I’m finally back Hillsdale for the second semester of my Junior year.  Yikes!  Classes don’t start until the 18th, but I have to say it’s very nice being back and enjoying some down time before I get back into my hectic class and work schedule.  Campus is extremely quiet, but I love it.  Not only have been able to unpack, organize and clean (not my favorite but it has to be done), but I have been able to spend so much time in prayer and in God’s Word.  I have to say I am so excited about this upcoming semester, yet I am somewhat nervous as to how it will unfold.  I’m not really nervous in a sick-to-my-stomach way.  Rather, my nerves stem from knowing that God will continue to be at work in my life this semester, but not knowing what that will look like exactly.  I have areas in my life that I know need desperate work, and I’ve asked God to change me in those areas and mold me as He will.  It’s just that when you’re the clay, you have absolutely zero control—the Potter, on the other hand, decides how He wants to fashion His clay (in this case, me!).   I believe it is this that is causing my eager-yet-nervous anticipation.

My aunt recently gave me a 365 day devotional by Sara Young, titled Jesus Calling: Enjoying Peace in His Presence.  Today’s devotional was perfect for how I’ve been feeling.  As I read it, I could just imagine God wrapping His arms around me, and as He held me tight, whispering:
“Let Me prepare you for the day (and semester!) that stretches out before you.  I know exactly what this day will contain, whereas you have only vague ideas about it.  You would like to see a map, showing all the twists and turns of your journey.  You’d feel more prepared if you could somehow visualize what is on the road ahead. However, there is a better way to be prepared for whatever you will encounter today: Spend quality time with Me.  I will not show you what is on the road ahead, but I will thoroughly equip you for the journey. My living Presence is your Companion each step of the way.  Stay in continual communication with Me, whispering My Name whenever you need to redirect your thoughts.  Thus, you can walk through this day with your focus on Me.  My abiding Presence is the best road map available.”

Oh, how true this is! What a sweet and beautiful promise we are given! When we immerse ourselves in God’s Word and eagerly seek His presence, He does not hide.  Rather, He draws near us, giving us the strength to place one foot in front of the other as we draw near to Him in trust.  My prayer is that I will do this!  May the busyness and stress of college life never pull me away from God.  If I start to doubt and question God’s will for my life this semester, may it only serve to drive me harder to God and spend more time with Him! As I look forward, my prayer is that I will seek fervently after God as I rest in His presence! 


No comments:

Post a Comment