Friday, July 6, 2012

Quiet Resting Place

Today has just been one of those days.  I woke up feeling anxious and depressed about life, about everything: my brother leaving for the Marines, graduate school, my lack of discipline.  I could go on and on.  At times, everything seems to hit at once and I confess I just want to curl up in a ball and pull the covers up and over my head to block out the attacks.  I know that these are lies hurled from the pit of Hell, and though they are false, I need to guard myself against them.  When I get down I am more vulnerable and susceptible to believing these lies, and so it is here especially that I need to fill my mind with Truth.  I am by no means a poet, but the following is just a little something I wrote to remind myself of Whose I am.  

Quiet Resting Place
It is in Your promises, my Lord, that I rest in this dark hour
I know that You alone are the one I need. 
In Your words are all the fullness of truth and power
And so Your voice alone is the one I heed. 

The ground may quake with force and might
The clouds may darken this very sky I stand under.
On Christ, however, will I keep my sight
I need not fear the rain or the thunder. 

The world and all its lies press in around me,
Threatening to steal the very life and breath within my chest.
I plead that You break these chains and set me free
And bind me to Yourself that I may find whole rest.

I know that agony and distress surely awaits him who does dismiss 
The Person of Christ and His warm embrace. 
I plead that I find in You my haven of delight, and when asked, my reason is this:
In You alone is the promise of a quiet resting place. 

In Jesus I have my consolation, in Him I am safely secured
For those whose hearts are stayed upon Him, His blood has covered and assured.

No comments:

Post a Comment